This paper explores the value and impact caregivers have on the broader patient experience efforts in healthcare. Published in collaboration with Caregiver Action Network (CAN), The Role of Family Caregivers throughout the Patient Experience, captures the vital voices and the multitude of experiences of today’s caregivers.
Engaging in a dialogue with seven individuals to share their experiences on the front lines of caregiving, the paper focuses on their responses to the following questions:
- What do you consider your greatest challenge as a caregiver?
- What is the most important task or role you fulfill as a caregiver?
- What advice would you give to someone who is new to caregiving?
- What is/was your role when your loved one is in the hospital?
- When you are/were at the hospital with your loved one, do you feel that hospital personnel respect and value you in your role as the caregiver?
- Are there times when you would have had a different opinion from your loved one about the quality of care they were receiving in the hospital?
- What did you fear would happen if you were not there with your loved one during their hospital stay?
With a special introduction from John Schall, CEO, Caregiver Action Network, the paper offers key recommendations to ensure improved outcomes for patients and caregivers. These recommendations are based on CAN’s ’25 Best Practices’ recognition program that acknowledges caregiving best practices for patients, caregivers, hospital staff and hospital systems.